What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate without iTunes?

Arlen G. Holder

Jun 2, 2019, 10:59:12 PM6/2/19
What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate
without iTunes (and how will you replace that functionality moving
forward)?

e.g.,
o Initialize iPods (is itTunes sill used for iPod initialization anymore?)
o Back up apps from a mobile device to a desktop
o Search for & purchase media
o Download free & purchased media
o Store & copy free & purchased media to/from a mobile device
etc.

What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate
without iTunes?

gtr

Jun 3, 2019, 1:39:20 AM6/3/19
What functionality does it *have* that I'll need to replicate in its absence?

I use iTunes primarily to manage a large audio collection, to quickly
search for songs/albums/artists. It functions as a database, for the
most part, that allows me to quickly find and play music. I used
SoundJam before Apple bought it and turned it into iTunes.

I also use it to store and access video files which I then stream to my
Apple TV, as well as use it to update my iphone/ipad, back them up, and
so forth.

Without iTunes I'll have to find new tools to do these three things.

Lewis

Jun 3, 2019, 1:51:17 AM6/3/19
In message <qd2bq7$ipf$1...@news.albasani.net> gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> On 2019-06-03 02:59:09 +0000, Arlen G. Holder said:

>> What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate
>> without iTunes (and how will you replace that functionality moving
>> forward)?
>>
>> e.g.,
>> o Initialize iPods (is itTunes sill used for iPod initialization anymore?)

the iOS ipod is an iOS device, it does not need iTunes.

>> o Back up apps from a mobile device to a desktop

Not possible now, Not possible for several years without getting a
dead-end version of iTunes that doesn't suppor the current iOS.

>> o Search for & purchase media

Since everyone does that on their iOS device, not really relevant.

>> o Download free & purchased media

Done on the device. Or you can add things to your iCloud drive to make
them available to all your devices.

>> o Store & copy free & purchased media to/from a mobile device

See iCloud Drive.

>> What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate
>> without iTunes?

Nothing that I need. I am concerned about the replacement programs
ability to be a good music player, which iTunes has always been. The
other stuff iTunes does I don't need iTunes to do and haven't for quite
a while.

> What functionality does it *have* that I'll need to replicate in its absence?

> I use iTunes primarily to manage a large audio collection, to quickly
> search for songs/albums/artists. It functions as a database, for the
> most part, that allows me to quickly find and play music. I used
> SoundJam before Apple bought it and turned it into iTunes.

That is my primary use of iTunes as well.

> I also use it to store and access video files which I then stream to my
> Apple TV, as well as use it to update my iphone/ipad, back them up, and
> so forth.

Haven't done any of that in ages. For video I've used Plex for years. I
have only plugged in my current iPhone to the computer once, and that
was simply to test the iTunes backup out of curiosity. I have not used
iTunes to update an iOS device in maybe 5 years?

> Without iTunes I'll have to find new tools to do these three things.

You are not going to find a third-party too to update iOS devices. And
if Apple eliminated iTunes backups, you are not going to find a third
party tool for that either,.

--
If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that
electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted?

Davoud

Jun 3, 2019, 3:50:19 PM6/3/19
gtr:
> I use iTunes primarily to manage a large audio collection, to quickly
> search for songs/albums/artists. It functions as a database, for the
> most part, that allows me to quickly find and play music. I used
> SoundJam before Apple bought it and turned it into iTunes.
>
> I also use it to store and access video files which I then stream to my
> Apple TV, as well as use it to update my iphone/ipad, back them up, and
> so forth.
>
> Without iTunes I'll have to find new tools to do these three things.

You understand that Apple is going to provide new tools do do these
things蟻udio, video, iOS management脚ight? It's just not going to be a
Swiss Army knife, so those who have been whining about iTunes being
bloated (whatever that means) will have to find something new to whine
about.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

badgolferman

Jun 3, 2019, 4:48:57 PM6/3/19
Back up and restore multiple copies of iOS from different accounts without
having to pay for extra iCloud storage.

Restore a device without having to use an internet connection.

gtr

Jun 4, 2019, 1:54:22 AM6/4/19
On 2019-06-03 19:50:18 +0000, Davoud said:

> gtr:
>> I use iTunes primarily to manage a large audio collection, to quickly
>> search for songs/albums/artists. It functions as a database, for the
>> most part, that allows me to quickly find and play music. I used
>> SoundJam before Apple bought it and turned it into iTunes.
>>
>> I also use it to store and access video files which I then stream to my
>> Apple TV, as well as use it to update my iphone/ipad, back them up, and
>> so forth.
>>
>> Without iTunes I'll have to find new tools to do these three things.
>
> You understand that Apple is going to provide new tools do do these
> things蟻udio, video, iOS management脚ight?

Believe? What the hell can I know? Certainly I don't imagine they'd
just dump all these functions. Whether it will suck when they've
addressed their concerns and ambitions, I can't tell from here. When
they make their changes I begin my acclimation. That's the way
software and operating systems always work. I'm just another fish in
their ocean.

> It's just not going to be a
> Swiss Army knife, so those who have been whining about iTunes being
> bloated (whatever that means) will have to find something new to whine
> about.

I'm sure there will be no dearth of complaints.

dy...@not.freeshell.org.invalid

Jun 4, 2019, 9:50:00 AM6/4/19
I'm still using my original iPod Shuffle. My Macs are too old to update
anymore but someday I'll get a new one that may or may not support the
iPod Shuffle.

Arlen G. Holder

Jun 6, 2019, 1:36:05 PM6/6/19
On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:48:54 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Back up and restore multiple copies of iOS from different accounts without
> having to pay for extra iCloud storage.
>
> Restore a device without having to use an internet connection.

Hi badgolferman,

Is this the current method you use?

o Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301>

Does Apple supply an alternative that works as well or better?

badgolferman

Jun 6, 2019, 2:05:16 PM6/6/19

Arno Schuh

Jun 8, 2019, 5:38:43 AM6/8/19

afaIk. iTunes is the last free software with access to GraceNote.

Lewis

Jun 8, 2019, 8:18:21 AM6/8/19
In message <gm1e12...@mid.individual.net> Arno Schuh <arno....@in-trier.de> wrote:

> afaIk. iTunes is the last free software with access to GraceNote.

Which is fine, since GraceNote are thieves.

--
'And stars don't care what you wish, and magic don't make things better,
and no-one doesn't get burned who sticks their hand in a fire.'

Arlen _G_ Holder

Oct 12, 2019, 1:04:48 PM10/12/19
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 13:42:56 -0000 (UTC), dy...@not.freeshell.org.invalid
wrote:

> I'm still using my original iPod Shuffle. My Macs are too old to update
> anymore but someday I'll get a new one that may or may not support the
> iPod Shuffle.

Given the Windows iTunes bloatware assemblage has glaring security holes:
o A zero-day vulnerability in iCloud and iTunes on Windows PCs allowed hackers to install ransomware undetected.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/hftPQAEZr_g>

And given the proof both iOS & iTunes are essentially untested...

The question arises as to what functionality iTunes actually provides:
<http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/7service.htm#iTunes>
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/xVu_O8Qeyss/Jez-EDPJCAAJ>

That you don't have better functionality, WITHOUT iTunes installed.